So as it turns out, you have to post often to qualify as a true blogger... I gotta get on that.
The last few days have been super pleasant. I guess I wouldn't say the most magical days of my life since I still am living a highly ordinary life-- you know changing poo, scrubbing stains out of laundry, ellipticizing (if that's a real term), having play dates, and going to Target. I will say that the crazy person in my brain who obsesses about food, calories, portions, and weight seems to have gone on a little vacation (please don't ever come back). Looking back, I haven't really given a fraction of the brain juice that I normally do to what I'm going to eat, when I'm going to eat, exactly how much I will eat, etc, etc. So that part of my life actually has been blissful. Hurray.
So speaking of Target, the center of my universe, I did a late night shopping trip there on Satuday night... and there were calories involved... LOTS of them. But I don't think in a bad way. Let me explain.
I first caught myself peeking at the calories in the cheese isle. I usually always buy reduced fat cheese, or anything else for that matter. I was picking up some of those pre-sliced packages of deli cheese. So I started comparing labels. At first when I realized what I was doing, I turned the package back around. I thought to myself "wait, I don't count calories". But then I realized that I wasn't actually counting calories, I was just making informed choices. I mean I could buy cheese slices weighing in at 100 calories with 10 grams of fat, or I could get the ones with 60 calories and just a few grams of fat. It doesn't take an obsessive slave to food to make that choice, just a healthy person making a healthy choice.
So I decided that it is still okay for me to look at food labels while putting them in my shopping cart. In fact I could look at each and every product before I bought them and it would still be okay (though that would be pointless since I've memorized most of the food items that I regularly buy). My reasoning behind this is that I'm still trying to be a healthy person that makes good choices for myself and my family, but I am also trying to get rid of my food demons and OCD-ness. If I make good decisions when I am buying my food, and my fridge is stocked with fresh and low fat products, then I shouldn't have to stress so much about each and every morsel of food that goes into my mouth. I obviously still need to be sensible about my portions, but without measuring or weighing them, and having a panic attack when I don't know how much I ate. If I stopped reading labels all together, then I would be setting myself up for problems on the other end of the spectrum that I'm trying to pull myself out of.
So food labels, your still my friends... I will just try not to read you after I put you away in my cupboards and fridge. We can only be friends at Target.
The only thing that would make this blog better for me is if you were posting every day. I love it! I love the Target references, too... mmm... yummy, yummy, yummy! And all those "yummies" refer to the magic of being at there at night, ALONE! Anyhoo... keep up the hilariousness of your posting--LOVE IT!!!
ReplyDelete