Saturday, March 27, 2010

Remember when...

Remember when I used to obsess about food all day long and freak out about calories?  I'm so over that... at least for today.  What a liberating day (knock on wood... I haven't actually gone to bed yet)!  I'm in the final hours of my day and I have absolutely no idea how many calories I had today. Not in the least! I didn't measure one morsel of food, didn't try to eyeball my portion sizes for a calorie estimate, and didn't ever wonder "Hmm, I wonder what low-calorie snack I should have" or "Dang, I had too many calories at dinner. I guess I should go home and consume the contents of my fridge since I blew it anyway".

Don't get me wrong, I didn't eat enough food today for a Tongan Man. I just tried to listen to my body and eat till I felt... well I don't know, filled. What a revolutionary break-through, listening to my body.  Who would have guessed!  I have a good nutrition data base stored convienently in my brain, so I still made pretty good choices (salad, beans, grains, fibrous cereal, etc, etc).  I did not however have an anxiety attack in the middle of my day and try to count up all that I had eaten.  Curious about the breakdown? Check it out:

Breakfast: A bowl of All-Bran Cereal & Soymilk (don't ask me how much though... remember, I'm still in recovery mode). Now this may not be all that impressive to you, but compared to the old me (from yesterday) it was a giant leap.  Normally I would measure my cereal and the milk that I put on top of it.

Lunch: A Deli Salad from the grocery store. I usually don't buy these sort of things just because they cost more than making one, but today I was taking my girls to a picnic and needed a quick lunch on the go.  I started looking at the deli sandwhiches, which I would have never done in my former life because of A) high calorie white bread, B) lots of fatty mayo C) more cheese than I would eat in a week, and D) no idea how many total calories are in the dang thing.  So I actually considered a sandwich today, but they didn't look amazing, so I looked passed them to the salads.  Much better choice.  The one I chose was a mandrin and chinese chicken salad with those yummy little crunchy things.  It had some yummy looking asian dressing on the side which would have turned me off in my past life, but today it was just plain old dressing.  You see in my past life I would have looked at it and thought it looked good, but would have passed it over because I would need to buy something that I knew what the total calories were (okay, you're beginning to realize my OCD-ness).  So I had a big, yummy salad with protein and fruit on it... harmless right?

Dinner: Dinner was blissful.  The Fish taco special at Bajio... highly enjoyable!  Now, this again would have freaked me out in my past life (you know, yesterday).  It was a lightly battered fish with cole-slaw, pico, and a bit of dressing.  Battered and mayo (the cole-slaw) would have normally send me running up the canyon, but today I thought "it's just a little of each, it won't put me over the edge".  And so that's what I had, with a good amount of beans and rice on the side.  I didn't try to eyeball my portions in the least... I just ate until I felt filled again.  I did happen to finish the whole plate.

To top it all off: Yes friends, I had a drink with calories.  Now for anyone that knows me... I drink water and diet soda. Period. But today, yes today was different. My husband always gets horchata (which is pure magic) when we get drinks at a Mexican restaurant and I get Diet Coke or any other diet option.  So tonight he made a coke-chata which is half coke, half horchata.  Sounds weird, tastes like heaven.  I usually have a sip of his and then nurse my diet drink during dinner.  Well, tonight on the way out the door as I was refilling my soda cup, a crazy idea came to me: diet coke-chata... and so I did. I filled my cup halfway with a caloried beverage! And guess what?  It was amazing, and I didn't care.

I just realized that this was the longest blog-post ever! Sorry, there is just so much to say.  Goodbye for now... I'm off to go not think about food.   (posted the next day)

No comments:

Post a Comment